Amoeba Infection Threatens Eyesight After Woman Uses Tap Water to Store Contacts

October 18, 2013

URGENT! From the Huffington Post:

Watch the Video on YouTube

How many times have you let your basic contact lens hygiene slide, not doing things like washing your hands before handling your lenses, using tap water instead of saline solution or sleeping in your lenses?

During a busy week at work, a woman named Erin was out of contact lens solution but didn't have time to buy any, so she used tap water to store her contact lenses.

That would soon prove to be a mistake: She contracted a rare amoeba infection that began to attack her cornea.

"The pain was excruciating," she told Dr. Travis Stork on The Doctors. She went to the ER, where doctors thought she had a simple eye infection and prescribed her a steroid. However, after the pain still did not go away, she visited an eye doctor who realized that she had an amoeba infection.

Read the rest of the article on the Huffington Post